Once a week, people all over the world sit down for a family meeting. As seen on television, this is where families get to share their feelings, confess their sins and find solutions to problems.
Unlike television however, is the real reactions to these disclosures. So, how do you have a family meeting? I’m going to offer simple rules of engagement that will ensure that you are able to have a great meeting and quality time.
1. Have a plan for after the meeting- this helps everyone to focus if after the meeting, as a family you have something to look forward to like family fun night or movie night.
2. Pray- the ol’ addage says that the family that prays together, stays together. Some people like for each member of the family to pray, and others select one person, or the head of household. Prayer is very intimate and it invites the solution into your problem before anyone can open their mouth about it. Prayer helps people to evaluate their feelings, and to be conscious of their desire to mend and fix, than to blame and ruin.
3. One at a time- you can not get any more basic than that. If everyone is talking, no one is listening. Listening requires you to empty your rain of opinion and internalize what the person intends to convey without an immediate response. Listening is vital for a healthy relationship.
4. Apologize- I anticipate that there may be some apologizing in your conversation somewhere, even if its for ignoring the dishes or forgetting to turn off the stove.
5. Taking sides- be sure to support eachother inclusively. There should never be a time in your session that one person feels singled out. By focusing on solutions you can avoid this common mistake.
I pray you have more productive family meetings each week!
If you and your family are not having a family meeting, and you want to start having one to develop better communication and to become closer here are a few tips to lure your family in.
- Cooking is always an opportunity to connect. You can choose a day that works for everyone in the house to commit to dinner and make it mandatory that you actually eat together. Just as you would put a time and date in your phone to get your teeth cleaned, get a massage, attend a concert that you purchased tickets for, your family should all have the same idea about committing to dinner.
- Give meaningful gifts at the table that the person receiving the gift would enjoy. One of your children may want to read a good novel, the other may want a new basketball. You are not buying your children’s affection but you may want to show them that you are interested in what they are interested in. Mates should do the same. Remember, it’s not a gift if you buy them, or even make them something that you want yourself. think about their heart and would may draw a memorable reaction. For someone whose primary love language is words of affirmation, you may want to write them a letter to tell them how much they mean to you, and how amazing they are as a member of the family.
- I am a firm believer that we make things a priority that we want to. In order to become a priority, find out how the other priorities became important to the person’s affection that you are seeking.
By all means, remain in good spirits. It may take alot of giving on your part. Remember not to expect anything in return. Love really does conquer all!