When I heard of the HPTN 052 study, I immediately thought of teenagers in dating relationships. While HIV is something that can affect any age, and is particularly making its rounds in the senior citizen community right now, I am still overwhelmed by the notion that if we initiate ARV therapy in people who are not infected by HIV we could prevent the virus from passing through partners. If this is true, I question whether HIV and AIDS ever was an epidemic that sprang out of thin air. And, if it was, I really disagree that we, the smartest nation did not have a cure.
When I attended school in pursuit of my massage therapy degree we had to do a project in health and medicine and somehow I became intrigued by learning about the cure for aids, which several websites that were taken down by the government said that the cure was Collodial Silver. And then, of course- not to my surprise, Oprah features this blue man on her show who had clearly misused Collodial Silver. It was a great way to scare people who had been hearing about the buzz, and a great way to scare people into not asking about it but speaking purely from the expertise of their four o’clock friend, Oprah.
Antiretroviral Therapy studied under the name HPTN 052 received results that were so “astounding” as the top HIV researcher Anthony Fauci put it, that in May of this year it was requested that study be released. The study is four years ahead of schedule and because of the overwhelming positive effect that top researchers are finding with the ARV therapy with preventing HIV-1 infection in transmission.
When I teach about Teen Dating Relationships, I want to leave them empowered to say NO, to know that they have the power of choice to make positive decisions that affect their body, mind and spirit. I also want them to know what emotional wellness is, and how we are in relationships to experience love in a positive way, it should not hurt.
With roughly seventy percent of teen girls becoming pregnant each year, and an even larger number of children having sex, acquiring diseases like Herpes and HIV and having abortions I wonder how long before they began to risk their lives to be with the person of their choice citing that they can use the Antiretroviral therapy as a form of contraception much like abortion is to many women.
I know women who have had thirteen and fifteen abortions, doing a number on their insides.
Those abortions have also come with several miscarriages to follow. In a world where everything is temporary and right now, how do we know that teens will not use this therapy as an excuse to live further on the edge?
- HIV study named breakthrough of the year by Science (mdicer.wordpress.com)
- You: Viral load a major factor affecting risk of sexually transmitting HIV (labspaces.net)
- Viral load a major factor affecting risk of sexually transmitting HIV (scienceblog.com)
- HIV Study Named 2011 Breakthrough Of The Year By Science (bioresearchonline.com)
- HIV study named 2011 breakthrough of the year by Science (eurekalert.org)
- UNC HIV Prevention Research Named Scientific Breakthrough Of The Year (medicalnewstoday.com)
- HIV study named 2011 breakthrough of the year by Science (yubanet.com)
- HIV study hailed as biggest 2011 breakthrough (cbc.ca)
- HIV prevention research named scientific breakthrough of the year (out-spoken.org)
- Drugs that Prevent HIV Transmission Named ‘Breakthrough of 2011’ (livescience.com)